Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Lopez Chronicles Family Weekend Update 5/24/2015

Weekend Update
5/18/2015 to 5/24/20015


It's that time again for another weekend update
I hope everyone had a wonderful week!!!



   Monday started officially my husband's vacation. It was so nice to have him home with us for the week. Monday was my son's doctors appointment. I guess you could call it a follow-up appointment. Not really a check up of any kind. But we needed new RX refills on some medications, new RX's for his therapies for OT, SLP, and PT. DDD needs these once a year and I guess it was that time again. The place we go to seems to have a revolving door when it comes to doctors. Every time I turn around there is a new doctor there. So it was our first time seeing this new, well not even a doctor it was an NP. But she was nice. 


   However, it always means starting over with someone new learning about Ben. It also means that things fall through the cracks and never get taken care of. And that was the case with my sons adaptive stroller. See while he is mobile he gets weak and falls a lot due to his Mild CP. It could be worse. But it's enough to hamper things and family activities. He falls down stairs a lot, in the shower, and at long outings. So we are always in constant need of making his environment safe. So the adaptive stroller is one of those things. It's there when he needs it when he just can't walk any further. Needless to say, it fell through the cracks when the DME that our insurance covers said they didn't have one, the doctor that was there last just did not do anything with it. And we are back to square one. So she promised me she would take care of it. 

   He grew another 1/2-inch since December. So that means in the last 7 months he has grown 3 1/2 inches. What a growing boy. His weight is pretty much the same. It always fluctuates a few pounds if he is backed up or depending on if he has eaten before weigh in or the clothing he wears. But really it is still sitting at the same weight range since the beginning of the year. And he is just the right weight for his height and structure. So despite the change in doctors. Hopefully, we can get things take care of. Because of his doctors appointment he did miss PT. 

   My dress that I bought from Ebay came in around on Tuesday. I was really disappointed at the time in the quality and what I was expecting from how it was described and how it looked in pictures. I thought it was going to be the end of the world for me and that dress. I was so excited and then was let down. I made it work and will post a blog about the dress. I also spent Tuesday and Wednesday decluttering my closet. I blogged about what I would be doing and what it looked like before. Let's just say it looks much better. I will be blogging about what it looks like after. I got rid of a lot. I am sure I could get rid of a lot more in that closet.  

   Mario was not feeling his greatest on Wednesday so we did not make meeting. I don't think anyone else was having a great day either. Because I could not find a ride with my normal go-to people for rides. I think it was a bad week for everyone in the "I am not feeling well" department of things. My phone never works for the tie in so that is usually out of the question it always seems to disconnect on me. Which is very irritating. Once in a while I can get it to work for me. 

   My son loves it when I make home made chicken wings. So I made him some last week. He had me laughing so hard. I sat them down in front of him and he says to me "Yeah these are gorgeous". He always cracks me up. But he is always so sweet. He really does appreciate the things I do for him. And he usually expresses it in funny and cute ways.  

   It is the end of the school year. And I had posted on my Facebook page that is designated to my family this. I thought I would share here. Since it sums up the way I felt about how the school year went for us.

"It is the end of the school year. Actually the end of the first homeschooling year for us. And while I may not have award assemblies to show their accomplishments, or report cards generated from a public school to say look at these straight A's. I do have the full benefit of seeing my kids thrive and show me how hard they work. And you know what maybe I should make up paper rewards to show their accomplishments. But seriously they rather get their monthly reward for their accomplishments.

But I would like to recognize Benjamin's accomplishments: Ben has many struggles being Autistic. Academics are extremely hard for him. So I want to recognize his hard work and accomplishments. Tara has worked very hard with him. He has gone from not being able to read a single word to being able to move on from the orange level of the early readers. And if you don't know what those are. The Orange level is the beginning of kindergarten level. So while my baby should be in 5th grade. I could care less of what he should be in. But I do care about this HUGE accomplishment of moving on to the next level. I would also like to recognize that he is sounding out words and trying to write sentences all by himself. His confidence level has skyrocketed and he is constantly writing me sweet notes. Ben is huge on facts. His memory skills are amazing and he can recite things he learns that does not have to be put in writing or reading. He has come such a long way.

Lana oh my goodness. Your math skills within this year have amazed me. You went from crying with frustration with math to making straight A's on almost every assignment with teaching textbooks. I knew it was a matter of finding the right curriculum just for you. Your reading skills are always amazing. And you have shown me how much you have grown with the use of easy grammar. Your penmanship for an 11-year-old is amazing. In fact, your handwriting is better than mine. Congratulations baby girl on moving on to 7th grade. Your zeal on wanting and choosing to work through the summer so you can finish high school early brings me joy. It shows me how willing you are to work hard.

Congrats to Ben and Lana for having an amazing 1st year of homeschool. And Thank You, Tara, for being so amazing with Ben. A lot of the credit goes to you for working so hard with him. Your one on one time with Ben has proven successful. What an amazing school year. And we will have an amazing summer as well"

   Thursday my son did not have speech therapy. I was so tired from Tuesday and Wednesday I just could not handle anything else for the day at all. So we canceled and just kind of chilled out on Thursday and did not do a whole lot at all. Just bummed around the house. And sometimes that is needed. Just a lazy day. 

   Friday I woke up at a pretty decent hour. Earlier then my children. I was shocked. Usually, they are really early risers. And always beat me in getting up out of bed. My friend Dodi came over to visit me and spent the morning chatting with me. And then to top it all off my friend Nancy came to visit me as well. I felt the love from my friends on Friday. Ben had OT after my morning visits. After lunch and OT, I really felt my body start to crash. I have been having a Multiple Sclerosis flare that I have been trying to just ignore. With it heating up the MS, is only going to get worse. I laid on the sofa with my son and we watched some Doctor Who together. He is very addicted to this show. He can tell you all about Doctor Who and all the many Doctor's on the show. He even likes the original Doctor Who. It's so funny. I ended up falling asleep and woke up to a pillow under my head with a note and a blanket covering me. Here is a picture of the note. He is so sweet. 

 I posted this picture on my private Instagram but thought I would share with you guys as well. 

"My soon to be 10-year-old son with Autism. He always refuses to write on his own without guidance. Because of the lack of confidence and frustration with his struggles. But he is now writing sweet notes to me more and more. Top part says "I'm glad you're feeling better" The next part says "I love you, thank you for everything"


   This kid continues to amaze me every day with how much progress he is truly making. I am so very proud of him and everything he does. 




   Saturday was the day of the Graduation Party. It was a prom style theme. It went really well. The kids were dressed up so cute. My husband looked handsome in his suit and I pulled off wearing the dress I was very disappointed in. But I want to talk about what I did and why I was upset in another blog. 

   There was so much good food and great association. Lots of dancing and everyone had fun. Ben did get overwhelmed when the music started. So about three songs in he started crying and asking to go home. I was thankful that he was able to tell me he was not able to handle it. Verse going straight into a meltdown. Lana got to stay and have some more fun and a friend brought her home. 


   Despite feeling so poorly because my lady friend started visiting me Friday afternoon. Sunday I was able to make my meeting with the kids. I was very thankful for some great spiritual food. I did come home and crash for the day. And well Monday starts a new week. So I guess you will have to wait to find out what I am up to this week. I hope everyone had a wonderful week and a great weekend. 

Talk to you next week XOXOXOX 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutest graduation party photos! Thanks for sharing about your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww your poor boy. I couldn't imagine what you go through to keep him safe. You're a strong family. I love your son's reaction to the wings, hahaha. I must say, I love wings too and would probably think they are pretty gorgeous myself lol. Aww your son writing on his own is incredible <3 What he is actually writing is even more amazing. How sweet and loving he is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You week turned out to be fun. Read your post about the blue dress and it turned pretty amazing i think, glad you put in the effort. Would love to see some more pics on your de-clutter project, hope it pushes me get started on my own. Your family and you are so great and loving even with all the challenges I feel your week was fun and productive. Very cute pics of graduation party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your week sounds a lot like some of my weeks! All kinds of crazy things happen and then we have a blast at a special function. Kind of evens things out!

    ReplyDelete