Saturday, April 11, 2015

C is for Controversy

 C is for Controversy


   This was actually a hard letter for me to figure out. Finding a word that could be themed around Autism. I have a lot of ideas for the rest of the Alphabet. But I am not sure why I drew a blank with this letter. I am going with C is for Controversy. I guess the reason I have and how I can apply this to Autism my theme for the month is that there just is a lot of Controversy when it comes to Autism. Between is Autism over diagnosed, what causes Autism, diets, therapies, and various treatments. There is always arguments, there is always debate. In fact many times you
will have parents of Autistic children fighting back and forth just on the Vaccine debate. Controversy is actually a really sad reality for a parents or an adult dealing with Autism. It seems like no matter what you just can't get away from it at all. And no matter your stand you take you will have someone arguing your point and tell you... "You are doing it ALL wrong". 

   It is actually very irritating to say the least on how divided parents are. And it causes a rift and instead of parents supporting each others feelings and choices that they are making. You have fights and divisions. Either your Pro-vaccine and Anti-Vaccine, or your For Autism Awareness or Autism Acceptance, Your fighting for a Cure or your fighting for resources. Your either on one side or the other, and it seems like that whatever side you are on you're not excepted at all by the other side. 

   It seems like you are the enemy. There is no. Ok that is your stand and I respect that. There is always a battle. We talk about Acceptance. Yet as parents and caregivers we can't accept each persons choice and stand when it comes to the treatment of our child or self if we are an adult dealing with Autism. We are all on the same journey yet we are all fighting. Its such a shame. We could be a great support system for each other. Yet we continue to battle each other on who is right and who is wrong. 

   I give you this much. As a parent with a child who has Autism. I have my own choices and views. I will voice the choice I have made. Because I also don't believe a voice should be silenced. However, I don't belittle or talk down to a parent who makes a different choice then I do. And I expect the same respect from them. I will not go and tell them your doing your choice harm by not getting their vaccines and I expect them not to come back to me and say how I am harming my child. 

   There are some very hard choices to make. And both sides of the debate there is pros and cons. There is never an easy answer or the right way either. Because there is no fix to Autism. It is not going to go away any time soon at the moment. And we have to respect each other's choices. We need to end this battle of debating and hurting each other. And we need to support each other in our journey's in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment