Saturday, May 30, 2015

Getting that Spark Back

Remember how I was putting that 

Spark back in my home?

 If you don't remember the before picture
here is the picture to remind you.


Closet and sofa in bedroom before picture


   So I have spent the last week really going through my stuff. Asking myself "Does this item bring some kind of joy to my life?" If the answer was NO. Then I gave it away or tossed it out. At first I tried re-homing my stuff. I did have some luck in people coming and picking things up from what we call "curb alerts" in our community. That is when we sit out unwanted items for people to pick up if they have some kind of interest. I think people lost momentum or just did not want to take my junk. Granted there was nothing wrong with everything. But maybe they knew it would not bring any joy to them as well. Needless to say, I had to toss the rest because I could not keep it outside any longer. The homeowners association can be so darn picky sometimes. 


   But I am pretty proud of myself. I got rid of I would say at least 3/4 of my clothing. Things that I have not worn in a long time. Or maybe they were just ripped or stained and had no more life in them. I have a bad habit of keeping those items around. I always feel like. Well, I can make rags out of them. Or I can paint and craft in them. And then they take up space or end up on my closet floor and I never do with them what I said I would do. So out the door they went. So what does it look like now? Let me show you!!!

Closet After Picture 
   I added some storage tubs to my closet. I don't have a dresser so this was a good alternative till I can get me the dresser of my dreams. I downsized in my purses. It does not look like it, but I did. I organized my cloth baskets. They hold things like socks, and winter hats, winter gloves, etc. Not that I need them much. But you never know. I got rid of a lot of shoes and kept my favorites. I took out the white laundry basket that was too big for the space and added a smaller wicker basket. The white one went down in the laundry room. Still looks like a lot of clothing. But remember a lot of it was on the floor in the closet, on the shelves not hung up or on the sofa area that should be my reading area because they were not put away. I did keep my favorites. And I am sure more could go. But right now these bring me joy. Speaking of my sofa....

Sofa/reading area After Picture



   There are no more clothes on it. YAY, I have my reading area back. You don't know how happy this makes me, and how much it means to me. So the bigger question is. How do I combat my horrible habit of using my reading area to pile and store clothes on? Or how am I combating the fact my clothes don't get hung up or they end up on the floor? Well, I will tell you.

   After a load of laundry is done I take it straight to my closet. No ifs ands or buts. I just do it. No more I will do it later. I do it in the NOW. There is no telling myself I will come back to it later and put it away. I put it away as SOON as the laundry is done and in my hands. This solves a lot of what goes on that sofa and what usually stays in baskets. And because someone else needs the basket, they end up dumping my clothes somewhere. 

   Second, I get dressed and undressed in my closet. I mean did you see my closet? It's huge! It's the size of a small bathroom. Clothes are dirty they go right in the hamper. Are they clean enough still? Hang them right up. I mean seriously seems like the most well duh answer and solution. But how many of us do it? Ok, maybe a lot of people. But I had gotten in a very bad habit of not doing it. Mostly because I am not feeling ok ever. MS sucks. But you know what so does a cluttered dirty area. It makes me even more depressed. So I have been pushing past my pain. And I figured also the less stuff I have, the fewer issues I will have putting things away. 

   So next up is my office space in my room and my craft space. Do I dare put up pictures of those areas? Sure why not. I am going to bare it all during this process.
Office Space Before Picture

   So this is my office space in my room. It's ok you can cry with me. It's in a sad state right now. Some of the issues is a lot of stuff ended up on my desk. Lots of mail has come that I have not been able to sort through. Stuff that was hanging out around the house that I need to decide if it has a place. Does it get tossed? And if not I need to find its home.

   I plan on working on this Sunday and Monday. And I am hoping I can come back to you with another blog that shows. Hey, look. It's an amazing space now. Shoot it gives me anxiety just looking at it. What is sad before MS hit me hard. I was a very organized person. I did always have one room that was my clutter/storage room. But everything else was ALWAYS organized.

Crafting/Product Are Before Picture



   And then there is my craft area. This area has kind of been crazy. It's bipolar over here really. Is it a craft area? Or is it an area I store my items that I review? It needs to make up its mind before I go nuts. Or I need to pick between the two. Or maybe find separate areas for craftings and products from reviews. Or my husband just needs to give up his man cave so I can have my very own room for products. Yeah, that will never happen.

   This area gives me less anxiety than my office area does. It is just about coming up with a solution to separating the two themes out. And while we have a huge house. Just not a lot of storage space. And nobody willing to let me have my own space.

   I mean how fair is this? My dad has the garage and an office. My mom has her own craft room. The kids have their school room areas. And their own rooms. Which that is necessary for sure. My husband has a man cave. I mean come on what the heck? I have to use my master bedroom as a place to sleep, office space, crafting area, and storage space for products. How the heck did I get the short end of the stick in this deal? I realize I am more blessed than others around me. But you would think with a 7 bedroom house. Mommy would have something to call her own space. I have to share my space with my husband, but he still gets his own retreat hideaway. I guess it's time to move and find an 8 bedroom house. I am just kidding. I will survive. I am just being a big baby and venting.

 Questions of the day

What organizational tips do you have to share?
Do you have your very own space to retreat to?


   Ok, so that is about it for this blog. I will come back and share what happened with my office area and my craft/product area. 



1 comment:

  1. Oh it sucks you don't get your own room - but make your space your own and it will feel like a sanctuary. My space is in the open plan dining room/kitchen space. I put headphones in to further "block them out" lol... looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete